Wednesday 21 June 2023

Bookathon - U

 Utopia. Urban Myth. Ubiquitous.

I am stuck on U. But thankfully I found The Boring Book by Vasanti Unka. The Boring Book defies description. It's the kind of book that might put you to sleep, though it has pages and a library card pocket and a date due slip at the back and words, and things in it that don't really make sense. I think it's the kind of book that you might  say you have read to your teacher and they can ask you what it was about and you can be honest and say it was boring!

I've booked Vasanti Unka for Book Week as she knows a bit about books and how they are made, having both written and illustrated a few. Her mystery book 'Who Stole the Rainbow?' has everyone guessing who the culprit was. 

Was it ...the sun?

Was it...the rain?

Was it..the clouds?

You'll have to read it to find out...as I always tell my children. Keep them guessing until the last page. Although I am terrible with mystery books. I always want to skip to the back where all the answers are. 

I am the Universe is a big picture book about the vastness of space...in a large format too. It has a billion star rating. 

I promised Vasanti butter chicken if she would come to the school for Book Week...since she has complied a book called a Suitcase of Saris: From India to Aotearoa : Stories of Pioneer Women. But I don't know if she'd be impressed with the school's butter chicken. I found there would always be too much rice and never enough sauce. So I'll have to find some other way of luring her in..

Then she can teach us how to make things out of socks and gloves and felts because she writes craft books too. I am looking forward to it. Even though I've already nearly done an entire Book Month this June I have thought about extending it and having another Book Week and after that 2024 can be Book Year. 

Currently there's only one more week of the Great Kiwi Bookathon left so help our blind and low vision children access books and get your donations in.


No comments:

Post a Comment