Saturday 17 June 2023

Bookathon - Q

 Q is for Quiet time

Of which there is sometimes precious little in a library when there's children around! I think some people have this idea that libraries are hushed places of complete silence where you could hear a pin drop, not that people carry pins these days. Most modern libraries have carpet in them so the sounds are going to be more muffled compared to the days of yore when people wrote with pen and ink and it was the school of hard knocks, and teachers went round with rulers slapping students knuckles when they made a noise. 

I don't think that exists anymore like the number of books under Q in the library you could probably count on one hand. 

The Bear Can't Babysit by Ruth Quayle is one. It's about a bear that has to babysit seven rabbits. Now in what universe would a bear be babysitting rabbits is my first question. The second is try my job babysitting 30 - 70 rabbits. That's what it was like in the library at lunchtime. 

I would be training library monitors, fielding requests for books, reading with those who wanted their book read out loud, giving out pieces of paper to make books, giving out squishmallows, breaking up fights and calming emotional meltdowns, dispensing lego, shelving, giving out chess sets, giving out crayons and colouring in sheets, doing photocopying, printing out things,  and in general, supervising boys playing 'bookshop' and girls making houses out of chairs. Children would sprawl on the floor, reading and leave the shelves in a mess, while at the same time seniors would attempt to study with earplugs stuck in their ears. The boys would be in their little groups and the girls in another. When they did jigsaw puzzles it quickly turned into a competition, and there was not unknown to be a game of 'The floor is lava' going on and children swinging on the banisters. 

I quickly gave up all hope of keeping any order. And besides everyone looked the same as they were all wearing school uniforms, and so every hat and blazer that got left behind I would just hang up at the wardrobe rack in the lobby after I announced 'I'm sorry library time is over' to collective groans. 

I did sort of feel like I was a Quasi Queen of the library if not the school because the library was open for anyone to use. I was ruling benignly and the readers were my subjects. When I walked down the corridors of the school everyone recognised me and I would wave regally.  (I would never call out that would have been un-regal) At assembly the library monitors would receive their library badges as 'Gold Librarians' and it was like an investiture. Actually the year 6's liked the pomp and ceremony, but anyone year 7 and up just wanted me to give their badges and gift books privately without embarrassment. 

Children were rather curious about the Queen and asked me to read them books about her. Then they had to change and sing God Save the King this year. It took some adjusting. Most of my children were 'little emperors' or 'little empresses' at home and already living like royalty with their parents serving them. Didn't Jesus say suffer the little children, let them come to me and do not prevent them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these. If the Kingdom of Heaven is  a library, who was I to stop them? 

One can read the Queen's speeches in this book The Platinum Queen which chronicles 75 years of them. I bought that one because it would have been the only time she would have something to say to her subjects. She always wished them well and a Merry Christmas despite all their trials and tribulations and petty wars. Another one for the library shelf filed under Q. 

Please support blind and low vision children this mid-winter Christmas by donating to the Great Kiwi Bookathon. 




No comments:

Post a Comment