Sunday 11 June 2023

Bookathon - K

 Stephen King. Jeff Kinney. Sophie Kinsella. Marie Kondo.

I can't recommend Stephen King unfortunately, the one time I tried to read  The Stand, and I was getting through it, I really was, the paperback fell apart I got near the end and found that the last chapters were missing, possibly because it was fished out of the recycle. I had to bury the book again and never went back to Stephen King. He crops up every now and then when young boys borrow horror books in hopes of scaring the librarian, and claim they have read Stephen King when really they have only read the title but have seen the movie (or played the video game, as in the case of Five nights at Freddys). 

Another video game addict is the anti hero of Jeff Kinney's books Diary of a Wimpy Kid, about middle schooler Greg Heffley now onto his 16th volume. His game of choice is Twisted Wizard and throughout the series he's always trying to corrupt his best friend Rowley Jefferson into playing it when he's not allowed. Rowley got his own spin off books and a Spooky Stories one that is was one of my favourites which to me was better than Stephen King. Plus these books have pictures. 

But I think Shopaholic Series by Sophie Kinsella takes the cake as the most addictive series of chick lit ever written because it plays on the ditzy femme stereotype of a woman with a lot of money/credit and no sense. Rebecca Bloomwood is annoyingly a marketer's dream because she's constantly scheming of being the girl with the George and Denny scarf and her financial mishaps land her in a lot of hot water. Sometimes it's just fun to read about complete idiots, it makes you feel so much better about yourself. 

Which brings me to Marie Kondo. Where she had been all my life, I don't know, but I was a self-confessed Messy Person until I read The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up. Also available in manga. Marie Kondo is a Japanese minimalist apartment dweller who has perfected the art of folding her socks. No truly she is a real person this is not a novel or work of fiction - it's self help! I did not know that the best thing to do was chuck everything away, and start over, keeping only the things that 'spark joy'. 

Of course I have applied Marie Kondo's philosophy and tidying up system to the library with mixed results. Maybe she will get into feng shui next, I don't know. Because once I started tidying up the library, the Principal didn't like it and chucked me out when it started sparking too much joy in the children. So I left it for her to tidy up so she too can experience the joy of putting over 9000 books in alphabetical and dewey decimal order. 

Thanks for reading and don't forget to donate to the Great Kiwi Bookathon this month 😍





No comments:

Post a Comment