Wednesday 4 January 2023

Better Work Stories - The two Fatimas

 There were two girls named Fatima at my school. One was a nasty bully and the other was a genius. 

Fatima the bully coveted the wheelie chair behind the library desk and never let anyone else sit there. Chair hoggers got short shrift in my library. I usually resolved the issue either with 'paper, scissors, rock' or by saying 'Can you move, *I* need to sit there'. Bully Fatima would pout, and then reluctantly move. I would give her the option to be kind, but she did these things with a grimace.

I once gave her an award for being kind. I knew she wasn't, but I thought that might prick her conscience and shame her into being humane. Reverse psychology can work on kids! Otherwise in no uncertain terms I said if she continued behaving that way she would be banned from the library. 

Genius Fatima was different. She LOVED the library, and was more interested in reading all the books than sitting on her butt. Everyone knew she was creative, artistic and a dedicated reader. Her older sisters had all gone on to University. She outshone her classmates, which either made them in awe of her talents or insanely jealous.

The brightest left the others in their shadows. She'd have brilliant suggestions for the library and admonished me for not applying 'The Rules' even more. She inspired me to provide more creative outlets, she made signs for the library and she checked out as many books as she could. 

One time I found a note left in the library. A jealous classmate had written 'I am Fatima and I hate the library'. I didn't think I played favourites, but how could you not love a girl who loved the library. She wanted to come in the morning tea breaks every single day - claiming the school was too boring and there was nothing to do. 

But as I had not allowed food and drink in the library I wasn't about to break my own rule. Besides I was human and needed a break too. 10 minutes more than my other job. 

No comments:

Post a Comment