Tuesday 10 January 2023

Better Work Stories - Heathers

 Aside from the two Fatimas at my school there were two Heathers. One was the Principal and the other was the receptionist. Unlike the two Fatimas, both Heathers were nice but I think it was really receptionist Heather that ruled the school - since she knew everyone, and lived right next door. Children would often refer to Whaea Heather and almost always meant receptionist Heather since they saw her everyday and Principal Heather was hardly ever around. Every time I wanted to see Principal Heather, she was busy, out or in an important meeting. 

Receptionist Heather retired and sold up eventually - I think she had been there the longest out of anyone and it was a real loss to see her go because she was the friendly one. You always need two receptionists at the desk so one can have a break, and inevitably one will be the 'grumpy one' in comparison. Nothing fazed receptionist Heather and she wasn't the one hiding behind doors in her office. Also she wasn't the one dealing with naughty children and angry parents. When the new receptionists came down with covid she returned to cover and it was as if she'd never been away. She also kept the staffroom kitchen in order and didn't write signs like ' clean up your own mess!' that were plastered all over the walls once she left. 

I wished there were two of me and maybe one Selina could be front of house library and the other could be in the back office and that meant both of us could have a break. Yes twin Selinas (I have twin brothers - I know how being double worked you got more done with less effort). But alas it was never to be.

Perhaps all the stress of being the sole Heather got to the Principal once receptionist Heather left. Or maybe receptionist Heather was so enjoying retirement and being a lady of leisure that Principal Heather thought it was time that she too, would retire. 

Heathers always seem to go round in twos because there were two Heathers at church as well. One was a former school  librarian who did scottish dancing and one was a former nurse who always prayed for me. There was also a Heather at the retirement village I used to work in and she was a dynamo. I think she ruled the village as well and often would tease me and stick out her tongue at me, and crack jokes about being inmates of Waitakere Gardens. If you didn't know her you would be extremely offended but she was mischievous and had a twinkle in her eye and tongue firmly in cheek when she ragged you. Oh it's Heather being Heather, we would say. We didn't know how she got away with half the stuff she said to wind us up. She could probably blame it on the other Heather.

I recently applied for a job at a rich private girls school and found out the Principal there was also called Heather. I am not sure I can handle all these Heathers. My sister had a friend called Heather also and mum could never pronounce her name, the 'th' gave her trouble and she ended up calling her 'Heater'. 

During Lockdown I finally saw this movie that was famous in the 1980s and it was called Heathers. They have since made a tv series AND musical about it but it's become a  cult classic about a bunch of high school girls - Three of them, all called Heather. They of course rule the school and Winona Ryder has to deal with all of them to break into their clique. 

One of the Heathers is played by Shannen Doherty (of Beverly Hills 90210 fame, remember she was the twin? Brenda to Brandon) and they all looked different but all had cachet simply because they were called Heather. 

I was very disturbed by that movie because it had guns and shooting in it and apparently it was pulled off the air when that stuff actually happened in high schools in America. It was supposed to be a dark comedy but I think watching it now would give most anyone working in a high school nightmares. Pity because  Heather is such a nice name. 

I won't go into all the Aaliyahs that we had in school or all the Nevaehs. But you know who you are. 


Watch Heathers, the movie.



No comments:

Post a Comment