Monday 10 July 2023

Better Work Stories - Come to Jesus

 My come to Jesus moment was then. I had a vision when I thought Jesus had forgotten all about me. I had worked on Sundays because I never had any church commitments and the library was a seven day operation. I knew Jesus lived in churches as I had gone to one once and everyone talked about Him there, but, since my family only went to churches when there were weddings I thought that was the extent of it. I wasn't going to marry anybody anyhow, so really,  what use was church for me?

Then I remembered that Jesus laid hands on people and healed them. At least, that's what the Bible had said although I had given up on the Bible long ago when I couldn't make sense of it. Christians were constantly going on about the Bible that they were known as Bible Bashers at school and people to avoid as do-gooders and ones who got married as soon as they left school, because it was such a big deal to be married in church, in a big white gown, and have lots of children, even though having children was expensive. This was not going to be my fate. My mother made it quite clear that Christians were deluded religious people who were only after money and they were just as bad as other people but just had a get-out-of-hell back up plan. 

God doesn't look after you, I do, she said. And when you die, you are not going into Jesus loving arms, you'll just be dead. 

Thanks mum, I thought. Real comforting. Except those Christians seemed so certain in their beliefs. They weren't burning paper money so that their hungry ghosts would be appeased with cash in the afterlife of hell. Their souls would just sleeping in peace and waiting to be resurrected in heaven. 

I decided to rebel and find out more about Jesus anyway, in case he was real and not just a figment of my imagination, or as Richard Dawkins put it, having a  God Delusion.  So in my time spend shelf-checking the non-fiction I went to the 200s and secretly borrowed as many books about Jesus as I could. In the name of research. 

And lo and behold my workplace was even having what they called an Alpha Course for anyone curious about what this whole Christianity thing was. They were even giving out free breakfast at the staff cafeteria. If Jesus wasn't real at least I would be having scrambled eggs and baked beans on toast and I wouldn't have to spend too much of my pay on buying lunch. This time I would pay attention instead of reading my own books and being told off by the Bible teacher at primary school. 






No comments:

Post a Comment