Saturday 8 April 2017

The day the oil ran out (7)

Not to be outdone by a thief I stowed my books into my bag and trudged onward to the Massey Pony Club. 
I don't understand why the Massey Pony Club is in Ranui, I thought to myself. Shouldn't it be named Ranui Pony Club? There better be some ponies there. 

Upon reaching the entrance I hiked over the turnstile. Did it matter I was not a member? And that I only came here for the free horse manure? I was not in the age demographic to be taught pony riding skills. However sometimes children mistook me to be their peer, disbelieving me when I told them how old I really was. Perhaps, like me, one of the ponies had grown up and been put out to pasture. 

I looked around at the idyllic scene. Green fields and shady pine groves, with jumping bars and steeples dotted around the place. No ponies to be seen. I walked on to the stables and hall.

I had put in my CV my stint looking after animals at the Swanson Veterinary Clinic. That I was a long term member of the SPCA, and SAFE, and fundraiser for Lonely Miaow. Granted, none of these were pony related but I thought it might be more relevant than saying I had worked at my Uncle's Chinese Takeaway, feeding the masses who were too lazy to cook their own dinners. 

Dear Lord, I prayed. Please let there be a job for me here. My Dad cannot live on chips and ice cream forever. Also, whoever took my bike either repent or you have a special place reserved for bicycle thieves in hell!










1 comment:

  1. Love this Selina it is such fun and paints a picture with its descriptive words.

    ReplyDelete