Thursday 24 August 2023

Better Work Stories - Fashion designer

 One of my fellow  teachers was looking at my job situation. Of course nobody now has money to pay a librarian, and so she looked at my hands like she was a gypsy fortuneteller and told me that I was to be a fashion designer. 

I nearly fell out of my chair. 

There is no way I could be a fashion designer. I don't even have a sewing machine. And I didn't feel like I could really draw what clothes people could wear only to have them made in a sweat shop in Bangladesh, Vietnam or China where all clothes are manufactured these days, as they sure are not made here. 

I have lived long enough into the 21st century to know that every decade in the past has reached the nadir of fashion and now anyone can now just wear anything they like. It's only in certain places, like schools and working in retail that you have to wear ugly uniforms. 

So if you wanted to wear a meat dress or all your soft toys like Lady Gaga, you now can, and nobody would bat an eye, and even wearing your underwear on the outside is acceptable. Girls can wear pants and boys can wear skirts and everyone can wear a pink t-shirt. I remember years ago we had this 'Trash to Fashion' parade at the Trust Stadium, where everyone literally wore rubbish. What creative things you can do with black plastic bin bags knows no bounds. 

On mufti day at school everyone was wearing either track pants and sweat shirts, or, if they were children, their onesies and unicorn horns/Disney princess dresses, or superhero costumes. It was like Armageddon Comic Con Cosplay meets Book Week. If it was not mufti day, everyone would be wearing blazers and ties and looking like they went to Hogwart's School of Withcraft and Wizardry, or if doing sports, like the All Blacks team with advertising branding prominently displayed, and in mourning because black is the new black. Or something.

My preference is actually bathrobe and/or toga/wrap/pareu/sarong/lavalava, because you can just tie that around your body without having to sew anything. Security blankets are the new hoodie. 

But who am I to dictate what anyone else wears? I think it's only because I am harbouring a secret desire to have everyone dress in stripes for the largest Where's Wally Day ever, and get into the Guinness Book of World Records, but of course that's just crazy talk again and not going to happen as long as we have people that take their day jobs seriously. Everyday cannot be a party. We are in an election year as well, so all the political parties are parading around in the respective colours/gang patches and people are wary of showing their affiliations. So if I became a fashion designer, I might only add to the confusion. 

Last few years have become a bit of a masquerade though but I've just stuck with the surgical blue masks and scrubs look because its the fashion to look like a zombie who just got out of a hospital bed, with bed hair and bandages. It's fun to dress up I suppose, but to make a living out of it I am not sure. It just might be creating more work for the people that have to do the laundry (me). 

Well, it was either that or work at SpecSavers like another teacher suggested. 

No comments:

Post a Comment