Saturday 8 December 2018

The day the oil ran out (15)

I let Slowy take a break as I could see she wanted to watch butterflies. She was somewhat of a free spirit unlike me and wasn't used to being chained to a house. I mean I was now used to it and accepted my fate but that was because I experienced severe Stockholm Syndrome under Mum's regime. It was hard for me to even think of leaving. Where would I go, and what would I do? I felt like Scarlett O'Hara when Rhett leaves her, telling her he didn't give a damn because she won't leave Tara. Or was it Ashley. I didn't know anymore my head hurt, so I thought the best thing to do was to have a cup of tea and a lie-down.

Dad made me a cup of tea and after finishing it I lay down on my bed. I soon fell asleep, exhausted. 
I didn't awake from my nap till I heard a familiar voice. 

Eh eh. Earth to Selina, earth to Selina. 
I woke to find my sister standing over me. 
What, is this all a dream? Aren't you mean to be in London? I said, semi-accusingly. How did she magically appear just like that? Genie, or just being Glennis?
I rang you from Nicole's. I've been back for a week. But I can't walk the Milford Track now because of this rather inconvenient oil crisis or even go back to London, since all flights are cancelled and nobody can get out so I guess I'm stuck with you here.
She grinned, seeing if I would take the bait.

Oh, I said. Well I can't really afford to hang out with you because I need to find a job. The car won't go.  And you can't borrow my bicycle because it's been stolen. 

My sister liked hanging out at trendy cafes and shopping malls, and seeing shows and dining out and all that jazz. My idea of a fun social time was,  a cup of tea and scone at church, while people asked me how I was and if I was  busy at work (No, because when they asked me it was Sunday, and I didn't as a rule do any work on Sunday). Also she wouldn't get the whole praising the Lord thing, and that you could sit anywhere in church you liked and didn't need to book or buy a ticket. That or reading library books. My sister never read library books, she always bought magazines. 

Aw chin up. She said. I bought you this Gardeners World magazine. I'm sure you'll find something. We can just put all the bills on my credit card. You can pay me back when you've got a job.

Ok. I flicked through the magazine. I came to an article with the heading 'What To Do Now'. It had no less than 50 things to do for the month of May. 








No comments:

Post a Comment