Sunday 6 September 2015

What I learned from God through dusting


Lord, why do I have to dust? Is cleanliness next to Godliness…really?

Aaah – choo! Sniff. Sorry.

I think of God’s temple, and wonder did it have carpet or were the floors so pristine you could eat off them? I recall God said to Moses, take of your sandals, for you are standing on holy ground. Well, it was made of sapphires.

Jesus said to ‘shake the dust off your feet’. Those towns must have been really dusty. He was also really into footwashing.

Dust, like sin, gets everywhere. There’s no getting away from it. I sweep the floor and the dust flies everywhere. It’s dry, you can’t shape it into anything. It flakes off our bodies and makes things dull and dirty.

I went to a funeral were the body was cremated. The undertakers said the heat from the furnace was really hot and the body gets dropped into the oven and roasted, then ground into a powder. All that is left is ashes.

I’ve burned rose thistles and thorns. When burnt up they shrivel to nothing. Is this what hell is? I don’t ever want to be turned into blood and bone. Bury me whole, and let the spirit of the living God make these dry bones live.

Just add water. I think of Jesus, adding his spit to this dust, making us new and shaping us like a potter with his clay. And then I rinse my mop and wipe everything clean.



No comments:

Post a Comment